It is official - I now have the lap band! Sometimes it seems like it didn't really happen, but I have the scars to prove it!
I began my liquid diet on March 1st. It consisted of 2 protein shakes, 1 can of soup, and 1 of the following: sugar-free jello, sugar-free pudding, yogurt, or sugar-free Popsicle. The first day was hard, the second day was alright, the third day was AWFUL! We had Jayna's birthday party and everyone was eating and I was soooo hungry. The next few days were off and on, good and bad... I only cheated one day and I had some chips and hot sauce at chili's (and a few french fries and 2 bites of Bonham's chicken crispers). I felt really guilty and my stomach was hurting that night and the next day. I finished the last few days on the true liquid diet and I lost a total of 9 lbs during that time.
My surgery was moved up to March 14th. I went in at 9:15 am. They took me back to get my IV started and then they were going to call Bonham back to let him sit with me for a little while before they would do my surgery. I was back there a good 20-30 minutes before they started the IV. It took 6 tries! Yes, SIX tries. By the fourth one, I started crying... I thought, 'this is it... this is the reason I won't be able to get the surgery; because they can't start my IV'. I was a little dehydrated, so it took a little longer to get a cooperative vein. I've never had trouble getting an IV before. They called Bonham back during the 4th attempt and let him sit with me. Pretty soon after the IV started, they gave me the good stuff and wheeled me back! Yea! It was finally going to happen! :)
I remember them rolling the bed back to the operating room and I said, 'Oh wow, I already feel it (the loopy-juice meds). Can you send some of this home with me?' They didn't... :( A little bit later, I was waking up. A few minutes after waking up, I did a swallow test and they started prepping me to go home. During the surgery, the doctor repaired a hernia that I didn't know I had. Supposedly, it happens when women have babies. Who knew? The doctor also complimented me on doing well with the pre-op diet. He said that my liver was shrunk down nicely and he appreciated that. It makes more room for him to do his work.
I took off work Wednesday through Sunday. Bonham's parents were so sweet - they took the kids for a few days since it was spring break. This gave us some quiet-time for me to come home and relax. Bonham took great care of me. He always does though... :)
I started back to work (from home) on Monday. During the first conversation with one of my customers, I was getting out breath very easily. I also had pressure in my chest. I thought this was normal. A representative from Cigna called to check on me and I told her about the shortness of breath and the pressure in my chest. She said to call my doctors office. I did and they said that I need to come in the next day for a deflate of the band. I went in on Tuesday and they deflated the band and I felt a little relief. I didn't feel the full affects of the deflate until Wednesday afternoon. By Thursday and Friday, I was feeling almost normal again! I still have a little pain and discomfort, but nothing that requires medicine.
I was on a liquid diet after the surgery that changed based on many days out from surgery I was. I was able to eat real food last Friday and it was incredible. I know I cheated that one day, but because there were so many liquid-days surrounding the surgery, it was like I was eating for the first time. I was so giddy about it that I was laughing and could barely chew! I think there is always a little apprehension on getting to eat for the first time after weight-loss surgery, because if you don't chew it enough, it can get stuck and come back up - yuck, yuck! Since Friday, I have 'eaten' shredded chicken with spiral noodles, scrambled egg with cheese, tuna with mayo, bbq Vienna sausage with mac-n-cheese. Right now when I eat, I can only eat about 1/2 cup a food total and sometimes eating all of it is impossible. I get full really fast. Its important that I get about 65 grams of protein a day, so protein is a must for every meal.
Based on how much liquid I'm drinking, my weight has been up and down. As of right now, I have lost 15 pounds. I have a total of 122 pounds to lose, so only 107 more! I am very excited about the things that lie ahead. This is definitely a life-changing event and there are times during each day since the surgery that I regret this decision. Bonham says that these feelings will pass... it will get easier and it will become a way of life. Change is always hard in the beginning.
I know I say this EVERY TIME, but I really will try to blog more often. I'm not sure if I even have any more readers... I hope that you are still with me! haha
Until next time....
No comments:
Post a Comment