I will try to get them up very soon. I haven't blogged much at all, but I really wanted to document my pregnancy. I didn't have a blog when I was pregnant with Jayna and Barrett. My goal with this pregnancy was to blog a weekly update. Ha!
As of today, I am 16 weeks pregnant. I had a doctor's appointment yesterday with my regular OB and then another one with the specialist. The regular visit was uneventful - just a 'how's it going' kind of appointment. My doctor said that because of my weight at the start of my pregnancy, he is fine with me gaining 5 lbs. So far, I have lost 3 and I haven't been sick at all (knock on wood), so that's good, because that means that I have 8 lbs of wiggle room over the next 6 months! Yay me!
My appointment with the specialist was scheduled for the afternoon, so when my OB appointment was over, I walked upstairs to drop off the paperwork for that appointment, so that I wouldn't have wait as long when it was time for the appointment. When I got there, the lady at the desk offered to get me in early. We were really looking forward to this appointment, because we were hoping to find out the sex of our baby! So we waited a little while and then we were able to go back for the sonogram.
The screen was a little fuzzy, but we got a video and some pictures. The baby was twirling around - it was funny to watch its little head spinning from side to side. The reason for this sonogram with the specialist is to look for birth defects, since Barrett had a heart condition. Everything looked really good on our baby. We will go back in 5 weeks for another detailed sonogram with the specialist just to double check everything.
While we were in there, the doctor was trying to see what the baby was, but the baby wouldn't spread its legs. I was getting really discouraged that we would be able to find out today. When the doctor asked when our next sonogram would be and we told her it would be 4 weeks, she was determined to keep looking, so that we could know.
The screen was very bright, so it's not the best image. Sorry.
I can't quite describe the sonogram and how funny it was... the doctor kept saying that she doesn't like to be wrong, but she was about 99% sure... and then she would trail off. I said, "If you aren't sure, does that mean you think it's a girl?" Because with a boy, you can see the proof very easily. I thought I could see boy parts, and she agreed that she thought so too, but it was the umbilical cord. So she said, "I wish your baby would spread it's legs. See these 3 lines? That normally means girl, but..." And then she stared at the screen more with a puzzled look. By this point, we are laughing, because it was just funny that she was so determined to find out too! I really didn't want to to sound crazy wanting to know, but I really did want to find out....
She seemed to be happy with what she found and she said, "Okay, I say girl." And she went to move on to something else... and then paused and said, "Wait. Nope, it's a boy. I'm 100% sure it's a boy." And then she was able to take a few good pictures of what was between his legs. We were laughing. What a roller coaster! Since we already have one of each, there really isn't (much) of a preference. I wanted a girl for Jayna and I wanted a boy for Barrett, but since there is only one baby in there, only one of them would get their way! Barrett had actually said that he wanted a little sister until the day of the appointment and then he said he wanted a brother. The good news is that we are planning on having another child after this, so maybe Jayna will get a sister. If she gets another brother, that will be okay too! :)
After all of that, the doctor checked a few more things and then scheduled our follow up for 5 weeks, so that she can double check the heart and arteries, etc.
Here are a few pictures of our 2nd son (that sounds/looks funny...)
George Bonham Calk:
We love to use family names. As you know, my husband's name is Bonham. He was named after his maternal Grandfather, George Bonham Wright.
I love Bonham's name and I have always wanted to use it for one of our children.
His little foot (it looks kind of like a claw)
The "Proof" (after he finally spread his little legs - shy guy!)
And this was the last picture that she got of him... he is covering his face, almost like,
"Please stop taking my picture!"
This was the only profile shot we got and I LOVE IT!
Closer image:
After the appointment, we went to eat lunch with my mom and we started calling everyone to let them know what we were having. Then we went to pick out a little outfit for George.
Since we were able to move the appointment up a little, Bonham and I
got to pick the kids up from school and let them know if they were having a
brother or a sister. Not really the best reactions... pretty mellow group:
I hope that you enjoyed the update. I will try to post another one soon. We are going to a Ranger game this weekend and I hope to have some good pictures!




No comments:
Post a Comment