A few weeks ago, we were able to get away for a few days. I know! What?!?
If you know the Calk family or if you have been reading this blog for any length of time, you know that our "vacations" normally consist of going to visit family in South Texas.
We enjoy the extra quality time with family and inexpensiveness of staying with them versus a hotel (cheap, I know!)
Here we are, hitting the road...
We made a stop just outside of Waco and went into a sporting goods store:
I was joking that this will be Jayna's shirt next year... LOL
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
So I didn't take any pictures of us or the kids with the family that we visited. :(
We stay with Bonham's grandparents, George and Shirley. One night after dinner, we drove around and got to see deer running through the neighborhood....
We followed the deer to a local park and got out to try to get some closer pictures...
We ended up just scaring them off. :(
Photo-op in the old, crazy trees....
Bonham trying to act quickly as Barrett makes his way through the tree branches. Barrett cannot be trusted. We never know if he will just jump off!
Vacation is exhausting!
The next day, we went to the San Antonio zoo. We left out early that morning to try to beat the heat and it's a good thing we did as you will see in later pictures!
Three years ago, I took some pictures of them in similar poses,
so I tried to re-create them. :) I couldn't quite remember the poses though....

Barrett and his silly little smiles....
Trying to to get both of them to cooperate for more pictures... can't wait until we have another one or two to wrangle with them! :)
Cheese!
Visiting the birds...
This picture cracks me up! This lone duck was in with the flamingos
Look at his stance:
Jayna brought some of her own money and wanted to buy a souvenir, so she picked her favorite animal, a flamingo:
And then Barrett had to get something too... a Caterpillar (I think that's what it is)
It was kind of muggy at the zoo. It was overcast most of the morning, but still kind of hot. Occasionally, it would sprinkle a little rain on us.
While we were waiting for Bonham to check on the train rides, the kids were looking sleepy, so I said, "Open your eyes!" and these are the pictures I got:
they are going to hate me when they get older... haha!
A few minutes later, we loaded on the train and we waited... and waited... and waited some more....
While we were waiting, it started to rain. Jayna had wanted to sit up front and even though the train was covered, the wind was blowing the rain and she was soaked!
This is quite possibly the longest zoo train ride EVER....
But we all kept smiling as we got soaked!
After the train ride, we had a little hike back to our car and we were all drenched! Fortunately, we had some extra clothes for the kids. As we were running through the rain, Barrett, Bonham, and I were laughing. Jayna was being kind of whiny and Bonham said, "Jayna, you should be happy that you get to walk and play in the rain, because if we were at home, you would have to be inside watching the rain. You wouldn't be playing in it." Good argument, Bonham!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
The rain continued on through the night and the next day...
We had planned on visiting Bonham's other grandpa and some of his cousins, but there were roads closed and power lines down in SA, so we had to stay away. :(
I used this time to work on a braid in Jayna's hair... it's okay to laugh. :)
Bonham and Barrett played on electronics and
I worked on some loan files (that's a normal vacation for us!)
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Since the weather was bad, we ended up heading home a day early and not making as many stops as originally planned. But on the flip side, we did have time to spruce up our flower bed! I should have taken before shots, but I didn't....
We have been trying to fix up the yard a lot more this year. We have added a garden, put down some sod, bought a picnic table, put in this flower bed, etc. I will post pics of these other things soon.
































No comments:
Post a Comment