Monday, July 8, 2013

Busy little bees...

I have been meaning to blog about the things that we have been working on around this house...

We started a garden, put some finishing touches on our flower bed, laid some sod, and took down a tree to start our new home ADDITION!  More info to come on that...

The garden started with these two flower beds.  They look kind of pitiful, right?
May 20, 2013:
This flower bed has bell peppers, bananas peppers, zucchini squash, spinach, and eggplant.  We planted marigold  flowers around the edges - we heard it would keep the bugs away.
I'm not sure if that is true or not though.

This flower bed has corn, green beans, celery, and strawberries

These are the watermelons and cantaloupe

We honestly didn't know if things would grow or not... but here is where we were within a few weeks:
Strawberries starting to grow, but they are very tiny and they don't taste very good :(
 
Everything starts as a baby, right?  Look at this precious little watermelon.  Isn't it the cutest thing?
Funny that I love this little baby watermelon, but I do - it must be the hormones!  haha!

Here's one of it's siblings!

One more...

Growing, growing...

A little bigger now!



Start of the corn

Start of the green beans...

little strawberries... pretty, but yucky

Little farmer, Jayna!  She won't eat any of this stuff, but it's still fun to grow

This was the cute little baby watermelon; now it's an adolescent

All of the pictures from below are from July 6th:
And the corn has sky-rocketed!  

The greenery looks so pretty - we don't have any green beans though :(

Banana peppers - this plant has produced the most so far, but they like dirt.  :(

Beautiful (and very large) zucchini squash - we are going to make some zucchini bread.
Wish us luck! 
 Here are some pictures of the watermelon and cantaloupe patch from July 6th:


This is a cantaloupe - I should have taken a picture of what they looked like as they started.  Since this is a family blog, I won't say exactly, but they were small, round, tan, and fuzzy.  You can figure it out.  ;)  Kind of gross to think of how they started, but hopefully they will taste good.

They are good little hiders!
---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
Our flower beds that we completed at the end of May, but they have a new touch.  
Keep looking!








------------------------------------------------------------------------
And then Bonham and his little helpers laid some sod:





This isn't new, it's just in full bloom!  I love crape myrtles!

---------------------------------------------------------------

And lastly, we had planted a nice little tree that we planned on using as some shade in our back yard.  At the end of May/beginning of June, we decided that we were going to add an addition to our house since we have a new addition coming to our family later this year.
This means that the tree had to move.  The day the tree was planted, I took a nap... so I didn't get any pictures!  But I did snap some pictures of the tree being moved!

We had to move the tree because the addition is going to go right up to where the tree is!  Poor tree!

The tree's new home!  Buddy, the goat was Bonham's helper this time!

---------------------------------------------------------------
This is the BEFORE picture of the back porch and another tree that has to move.  The move for this tree is a little more permanent.  The other one gets to live and thrive and this big one, well.... you'll see





The workers, just doing their thing...



Not so tough now tree, huh?  


Now that the small tree has been moved, the big tree is down, we can start on the serious work!  We have plans to add about 1,000 square feet to our home.  In this addition, we are adding 3 bedrooms and 2 bathrooms!  We currently have 3 bedrooms and 1 1/2 bathrooms.  With this addition, we will be converting our current master to a dining room and converting Jayna's room into a den.  We have already received some bids; we just need a few more and we are hoping that the construction can start sometime this month!  I plan on posting pictures as the addition is being completed.  I just hope they can finish before Oct 3rd!  It would be nice to have everyone in their rooms when we bring George home.  :)

1 comment:

Alyson Steiner said...

I'm just getting caught up... Love that you are adding on! How nice to have the extra rooms and bathrooms!