Tuesday, September 24, 2013

George Update (Almost 39 weeks)

Based on some information from our appointment yesterday, we are scheduled to enter the hospital this evening at 5pm to start the cervidil (softens the cervix) and my official induction will begin on Wednesday morning if the cervidil doesn't put me into labor, which is what happened with Barrett.  This will be my last pregnancy post!:

How far along:   38 weeks and 5 days

Weight Gained/Lost:  According to my appointment on Monday, I have gained 1.4 lbs during my pregnancy.  For those of you who might be concerned by this, my doctor said early on that he was okay with me gaining nothing at all up to 10 lbs.  I'll let you know that according the doctor's scale, I weigh 227.4 lbs.  I am not a small woman and that is why it's okay for me to not gain a ton of weight.  For those of you who haven't had a child recently, the doctors prefer that you gain weight if you need the extra fat storage.  Obviously, I have enough fat storage to go around!  (These comments are not intended to fish for compliments - they are the truth.)  George's lack of growth at this point doesn't have anything to do with my weight gain (or lack thereof).  I say this because I am emotional and I don't want any comments indicating that I didn't do my best for him.  :)  If anyone has eaten a meal with me in the past 9 months, you know!

How Big is George?:   Based on our sonogram yesterday, George is only 6 lbs 3 oz.  We had a sonogram 3 weeks ago and he was measuring 5 lbs 7 oz.  At this point, he should be gaining an ounce a day and he hasn't/isn't.  The doctor feels like he can grow better outside of me.  Now, with these sonograms, they have a degree of inaccuracy, so he could be smaller or he could be bigger.  There could be several reasons that he isn't growing at the desired rate, but we may not know until he is born... we might not ever know.

Sleep:  My sleep patterns have changed a little - waking up a little more... ramping up for when he gets here!  I woke up the other morning around 5am and tossed and turned... I don't know how I will sleep tonight anticipating his arrival!

Movement:    George is still moving well.  He doesn't like to be touched, so being monitored during labor should be interesting!

My Mood:   I'll be honest, I have been a little short tempered!  Hopefully, that will pass with George's birth.

Food Cravings:  Mexican food and ice cream!  (See, I eat!)  :)

How am I feeling?:   I was having a lot of back pain, but I was able to get a really good massage on Sunday and I am feeling a lot better.  Other than that, I am feeling well.  I have a renewed energy level (strange).

Labor Signs:  At my appointment on Monday, I had effaced a little more and dilated slightly more, but nothing that indicates I would go into labor before my induction.

Dr. Appointments:  I am done!  I go in tonight for the start of the induction and should have a baby tomorrow!  Yikes!  I can't believe it's here!  :)  I will follow up with my doctor in six weeks.

Looking forward to:  Seeing and holding George!  I am also looking forward to seeing Jayna and Barrett with him.  They are so excited!

Nervous/Worried About:  I am more at ease about getting an epidural with an induction and the fact that this is the hospital where I delivered Jayna and they seemed to be more accommodating with the epidural.  I am nervous about the possibility of a c-section.  I know that women have them all the time, but it scares me to death!  The doctor has mentioned it several times and with the reason for this induction being George's restricted growth, he mentioned that if it's because of the placenta, he might have a harder time during labor.  If that's the case, it could lead to a c-section.  I woke up Monday morning around 5 am to use the restroom and I started worrying about this for my own reasons (before we knew about the induction) and I couldn't go back to sleep because I couldn't stop thinking about it!  I am scared.  The other two babies did well through labor and I pray that George will too.


I think that is it as far as updates go.  I will post his birth story with pics as soon as I can after his arrival.  :)

No comments: