If you read the last post, you know that I had to be induced because my doctor was concerned about the lack of fluid around George and his growth slowing. I was scheduled to go into the hospital on Tuesday night and start the induction Wednesday morning. The doctor told me to come in at 5:00 pm. Jayna had softball practice, so Bonham took the kids to that and my mom took me up to the hospital to get checked in. When we got there, the nurses said that there wasn't a room open and to call back up there in about 30 minutes... We went down to the cafeteria to wait. I called and they said, "give us another hour". So my mom and I went to Walmart to get some cards. :)
I called back in an hour and they said to come up there in another hour. So around 8:30 pm, I was in a room. The nurses were still really busy, so it was a little while before a nurse could come in to start my cervidil and set an IV. They had delivered 7 babies during the 4 o'clock hour, so everyone was still trying to get those patients settled and moved to recovery.
When we entered the room, it seemed very familiar. My mom and I both thought it was the same room that I delivered Jayna in. Bonham thought that it just looked similar. When we got home and I looked at Jayna's baby book, it was the same room! How cool is that? Both Jayna and George were born in the same room at the same hospital! Now, if we have a 4th child, I will have to insist on that room. Haha!
The nurses were able to start my cervidil at 10:00 pm. Cervidil is medicine placed on the cervix to help soften and prepare it for labor. I was given this on all three inductions. With Barrett's induction, it put me into labor on my own without the help of pitocin. That wasn't the case with George. Around 11:30 pm, the nurse gave me something to help me sleep. My back was hurting, so it was hard for me to get comfortable. Believe it or not, these beds are not designed for comfort.
The next morning, the cervidil was removed around 7:30 am and they started my IV fluids around 8:30 am. I started feeling contractions about 30 minutes later and they quickly increased in intensity. They were about 3 minutes apart. I had told the nurses about my experience with Barrett and not getting an epidural. They understood and said that they will make sure that I get one this time. After 30+ minutes of contractions, I had asked when I could get the epidural. The nurse kind of laughed and said, "Would these contractions being you into the hospital if you were at home?" And I told her that they would... She told me that they kind of gauge the need for an epidural based on when I can't smile through them. I explained to her that I smile all the time!
She left the room for a short time and then came back to tell me that the anesthesiologist was doing a block for one lady, and then an epidural in the room next to me and then he would come to do mine! Yay for me!
The anesthesiologist came in to start the epidural around 11:30 am. It was so incredibly painful and took WAY longer than it did when I got one with Jayna. I'm not sure if they changed the procedure, but it was nothing like I remembered. I received 4 numbing shots and when he was placing the epidural, it felt like he was running a serrated knife up and down my spine and the pain was shooting through my lower back. If you've never had an epidural, you have to stay bent over with an arched back. During this time, George was kicking me and I was having contractions. Again, it was incredibly painful and I honestly thought about telling him to stop and I would just labor through the pain. The only thing is that you never know how long labor will last. So I kept trying to remind myself that the epidural will take away the pain and it would be over soon.
Once the anesthesiologist was done with the epidural, I laid back and it took a little while to start working. It didn't seem to be working on my right side, so the nurse had me reposition. I had a button that I could push to get more medicine. I pushed it since it didn't seem like it was working on the right side. Then it seemed like the pump was going crazy, so we called the nurse and anesthesiologist in there, but of course it stopped by the time they entered the room. Doesn't it always work that way? :)
My doctor came in and broke my water around 12:15 pm. Pretty soon, the pain on my right side was going away, but I was starting to feel something on the left, so the nurse repositioned me again. I told her that I was still feeling something on the left, but I couldn't tell if it was the contractions or pressure. She checked me at 2:20 pm and I was dilated to a 7! She went to tell the doctor to get ready. My mom was about to leave to get the big kids from school, but then my father-in-law offered to go in her place, so that she could stay. I asked Bonham to go down to our car to get the boppy and diaper bag. In the few minutes that this was going on, the nurse re-entered the room and I told her that I felt like something had changed....
She took a look and saw George's head! It was happening. My doctor entered the room and started getting his gown and gloves on. I had planned on Bonham and my mother-in-law, Julie being the room, but now that it was happening, I asked if my mom could stay too. My mom was in the room for Jayna's birth and I had wanted Julie to have the experience of being there for her grandchild coming into the world. But this room was huge, so I figured that it wouldn't hurt if one more person was there, right? :)
Julie and my mom were kind of trapped anyway, because the nurses and doctor were between them and the door. The doctor was holding George's head in while the nurse finished getting some things ready. When he moved his hand, George's head came out and they suctioned him and then his body came out. No pushing on part! Nice! :)
They laid George on my stomach and I couldn't hold back the tears. Childbirth is so emotional. I was happy that he was here safely and that everyone was able to be there. George was born at 2:38 pm (yes, 18 minutes after I was at a 7). He weighed 6 lbs 5 oz and was 19.5 inches long. They were right on target with his weight based on the sonogram from earlier that week.
Here are some pictures from that day and the next:
Yay! George is here!
Jayna and Barrett arrived shortly after he was born and I was able to nurse him for a little while. Jayna had wanted to be the first one to hold him...
It brought tears to my eyes when the kids entered. I was so excited to let them meet their brother.
And they LOVE him!
My Aunt Teresa and Uncle Patrick were some of our first visitors:
They brought my Mamo to meet George:
A nurse came in to do George's footprints and first bath:
He did pretty well for the bath.
All clean and bundled up!
George with Grandma and Grandpa:
George with Nana and Papa:
My dad (Papa) wasn't cooperating, so this is the best we could get!
George is the size of a football, so Papa is about to run him in for a touchdown!
Before they moved me from the labor and delivery to the recovery/regular room, they were hoping that my epidural would wear off. It had on the left side, but my right leg wasn't working. It stayed numb until about the middle of the night. It was quite comical how I could move my foot and pull my leg up towards my body, but I couldn't lift my leg off the bed.
When George was first born, we didn't really think that he looked like anyone.
But with each face he makes and each picture, we can see a little glimpse of someone else. I think he is starting to look like Barrett, who looks like Bonham. Surprise, Surprise! I thought he might look like me. Maybe he'll have curly hair! Haha!
After we got settled in, we had some visitors... Sage and Bobbie Jo:
Aunt Cindy and Pennie:
On Thursday, George had his hearing test, which he passed.
George had some other routine tests done and then we were able to go home shortly before 6pm on Thursday. Jayna had a softball game that night, so Papa took her for us, while Barrett hung out with Nana until we got home. When I got home, these beautiful flowers were waiting for me...
I really tried to document and remember details, but I know that I have already forgotten things. :( It's crazy how the days and the details run together. We were so tired and ready to get home to our big kids that we didn't take any pictures leaving the hospital and I honestly can't remember what George wore home. I went to put it in his baby book yesterday and I went through all of the pictures and I can't tell because he is wrapped in blankets. I know that it doesn't really matter, but I wish I would have taken a picture of it.
Here is a picture of George all wrapped up on our first night home:
The next morning before school:
Barrett had said that he wasn't feeling well and he had a little cough, so we decided to take him to the doctor since we were about to go into the weekend. The pediatrician wanted to see George as soon as we got home, so we took both of them. Barrett had an upper respiratory infection, so it's a good thing we took him in. George got the once over from the doctor; they tested his bilirubin levels, weighed him, etc. He weighed 5 lb 14.5 oz. George's bilirubin levels were elevated (meaning he is jaundice), so the doctor asked us to come back on Monday to re-check them and check his weight again. On Monday, the levels were peaking, so she asked us to come back again on Tuesday. His weight on Monday was 6 lbs 6.5 oz, so that's good! His levels on Tuesday were coming back down, so nothing additional was needed. We just need to keep up the feedings and get some sun. He goes back to the doctor on the 9th for a two week check.
I know this post was kind of all of over the place... please forgive me. I am tired and slightly medicated! :) (I am not going back to proof-read, so if there are any errors, I hope you were able to read through them)
I am still having back pain from the epidural and just normal pain from giving birth. It's definitely better, but I am still taking some medicine for it. George is a great eater and sleeper. All around, he is a good baby. Now, it's still early! Haha!
I will try to post some additional pictures and updates on other things going on. I think I am going to take a nap now... Goodbye!








No comments:
Post a Comment