Tuesday, September 8, 2015

First Week Back - WHAT A WEEK!!!

So, my first day back... good?  bad?  Neither, really.  My first week back?  CrAzY!!!!

I was anxious all morning about logging on again for the first time.  When I did, my credentials weren't accepted.  I called the IT department and I was waiting for them to say, "ma'am, you don't work here anymore..."  Haha!  But they didn't say that.  :)

It took several hours and a few extra phone calls, but they granted me access and I was overwhelmed with all of things I needed to do!  I reached out to a few customers and Realtors, but mainly checked my emails and organized my files and organized my to-do list for the next day.

One of the things I was the most anxious about was a proposed transition.  I didn't mention this in my previous blog, because I was feeling uneasy about the transition and there is so much turnover in this industry.

I am not a fan of change.  Who really is though?

Honestly, things were going well for me before I went on leave and I had several people who were waiting for my return.  Lots of stuff to keep me busy, busy!

When I started doing mortgages in 2003, I worked for two different brokers (very short term) before I went to work for the mega-mortgage giant, Countrywide Home Loans.  I loved, loved, loved that company (when it was good).  Heck, even when it was bad, it was still good... until the down turn of the market in 2008... that was rough for everyone.

After that, I worked at a credit union for a year and half, I worked a mega-bank, Chase for over 2 years.  When I left there in January 2013, that is when the "job hopping" began.
Here is how it went:
Caliber Home Loans: Jan - Nov 2013
Regions Bank: Nov 2013 - Apr 2014
Cobalt Mortgage: Apr -Nov 2014
Pacific Union: Nov 2014 - today
(this can kill your resume)

Caliber was okay, but my team was struggling and moved on while I was on maternity leave with George.  Upon my return to work, I opted to part ways with my old team.  I was lured in by pretty product choices and promises of  $$$$.  Money talks, right?

I quickly realized that I would not make as much money as they were stating.  :(

I rejoined my team at Cobalt and I loved it!  We all did....Cobalt was a great place to be.  It reminded me of Countrywide.   Then, they sold out to Caliber Home Loans.... what are the odds?  So..... we moved on and ended up at Pacific Union.  The transition was incredibly rocky, which is normal because you are learning new systems, chain of command, procedures, etc.  After a little while, like with most companies, I just learned how to make it work, mind my own business, and make some money!  :)

That's exactly what I was doing at Pacific Union when I found out my team was moving (again).  I received this news about 12-13 weeks before Bowie was due, so I planned to stay until I returned from maternity leave and then I would make my decision about staying without my team or moving with the team.  Unfortunately, Bowie's birth came very shortly after that discussion and I felt like I had to make a decision quickly on what I was going to do.

So I am on leave... my team exits the company....  I get a call from HR that they are laying me off because my branch closed and moved on.  Yeah, let that sink in.  Laid off.

I accepted it (at first) and then I thought about it a little more... I decided that this wasn't right!  I typed up a nice little email to HR with the bullet points as to why they shouldn't let me go.  The head of HR called me up and apologized and reversed the lay off.  I asked them to move me under another manager in the DFW area and they did.

Needless to say, this had me on edge about my job security, so I decided to return to my employer on the 31st and then resign within a few days to join my old team (again).

I was going retrieve my files, secure insurance coverage and say "adios" to the company that laid me off while on leave after losing a child.  (Jerks!  I'm not really that mad at them.  I understand from a business perspective why they did, even if it was wrong)   But, as this day to resign got closer and closer, I was incredibly anxious about making the wrong choice or missing something.  I called my old manager to let him know that I needed more time before I could take the leap.



"Why are you so anxious about a move when you've done it before?" You may ask.

Well, I will answer... moving in this industry is difficult, because it's harder for people to find me when they need my help again.  I always keep my same cell phone number, but some people will only email or walk into the office that they think I work at and if they can't find me that way, they give up and go somewhere else.  Not good.

Also, when I move.... the transition between companies takes a few days to transfer my license and learning the new systems can take a few more days.  These things can really hurt the timeline of the process and upset all involved.  Most of the time when I transition, I am able to refer my files to my new manager, so the customers are still taken care of, but if anyone knows me well, you know that I am a total control freak and I want to do everything!

I feel like I can lose credibility with people on the perks of working with me at one company, just to turn around and start selling them on another... it doesn't seem right.

Now, these moves can happen for legitimate reasons.....  Cobalt was great and we would have stayed there forever if Caliber wouldn't have bought them out.

Countrywide was great too and I would have stayed there if we hadn't been forced to do sub-prime loans, if the leaders would have continued to lead and made wise choices for the company and employees instead of only thinking of themselves (as is the case most of the time).


Everything (I mean everything) happens for a reason.  All of these things have led me here.... separating me from my work family.  It's sad, because we all want to work together, but I need to think about me, my family, my borrowers, and my Realtors - what is best for all of those people right now?  I felt in my gut that it was not following the pack this time.

Fast forward to Thursday.... I had had several days of less anxiety and stress about moving companies.  I called up my old manager (and friend) again to tell him this time that I didn't just need a week or two... I wasn't going to join them at this new company.  We had a good talk.  I hung up and still had complete peace about my decision.... and THEN:

I received a call from one of borrowers who is buying a new construction home.  The builder wants her to use their preferred lender.  She was adamant about using me for her loan.  When the guy she talked to listened to her reasoning for using me over him, he was impressed.  I'm not exactly sure what she said to him, but it must have been good!  He wanted to talk to me.  I agreed to talk to him, because if you remember, I had just (30 minutes ago) told my friend, "I'm staying put!"

I decided to call up this preferred lender, because I wanted his fee sheet, so that I could match his pricing at my company and get this loan locked in.  As soon as I heard his name, I knew that this conversation would go well.... I had met one of his loan officers a little over a year ago and even though she wasn't trying to recruit me, I wanted to work at her company!!!

Well, this was the same company; the same group.  What are the chances that our paths would cross again???

They asked me to come in (that day).  I had an offer the next day.  Wow.  I am impulsive enough to buy a candy bar in the check out line, but I don't decide to change employers on a whim.  Even still, I had total peace about making a move (again), because I feel like this is the last one.  (I PRAY this is the last one!)

Today was my first day at Service First Mortgage - The Wommack Group and I already feel like part of their "family".  That's what they are.  They are family.  A husband and wife team run the branch.  Some of the employees have been with them for 4 years, 10 years, 14 years, and 17 years!  That says something.  The company is not huge, which has it's perks.  They are very customer focused, which is right up my alley!

This is the FIRST time that I have made a move without the new employer offering me, what we call, a "guarantee" (that's just like a sign on bonus for other places).  They are so confident in the ability to make money right away at their institution and I am confident in my ability to bring in the loans and close them fast, that I am not even worried about not having a guarantee.

I believe that the Lord has closed one door and opened a window.  

He put this opportunity out there for me.  I feel good about it.  I am excited, thankful, and eager to get back to doing what I do best: helping people!


No comments: