Monday, May 24, 2010

Dang Internet!!!

About 2 weeks ago, I came into work and saw an email from my yahoo email account. It was time stamped in the early a.m. hours, so I knew that something was up right away. I did a little digging to find out that everyone in my address book had been emailed. It was a link to website where you can purchase erectile dysfunction pills. There was no subject and no message, just a link. I considered changing my email address, but I really like it....

Well, it happened again on Saturday! It is emailing people that I haven't had in my address book in a long time and there is nothing in my 'Sent' folder of my email. I feel really bad for the people that it is going out to, but there really isn't anything that can be done... Even if I were to change my email, whoever is sending this out is not really sending it from my email, they are sending from somewhere else and putting my name on it. The best thing to do, for anyone to do ever, is to not click on a link that is sent in a blank email, unless you were expecting it to be sent by the person. Even in that instance, I would still call and verify with that person that they are sending you something to look at.

When I came to work this morning, I had an email just like this one from a man that I had done some business with recently, so now I don't' feel as bad... it is happening to other people.

Here are a few tips to keep this from happening:
1) If you must forward something, copy and paste the message portion into a new message, omitting the email addresses from the previous emails and let others know to do the same thing.
2) Try to have 2 separate email addresses. Maybe have one for online shopping and 'sign-ups', so that if it becomes overwhelming, you can disable that email. And then have a primary email that is for business/social emails. You are smart, so I think you can figure that out. =)
3) Do not click on links that you aren't familiar with and don't respond to emails that you aren't sure about....

The internet is good for so many things, but there also a lot of bad things out there too. Its just sad that so many people take advantage of a great resource that we have. We use the internet to get news, keep in touch with family & friends, network/increase business, etc. I sometimes wonder if the idiots out there causing all of these problems have moms.... maybe they weren't hugged enough... maybe they weren't spanked enough.... maybe they were spanked too much.... maybe they were hugged too much.... who knows.

No comments: