Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Day 8: Memorable Christmas Tales....

So Christmas is just around the corner.... and so I have been thinking a lot about gifts and things. I normally do really well at getting my Christmas shopping done throughout the year and then I don't have to deal with the crowds around the holidays. Well, I haven't done so well this year. I thought about doing this and that..... and then I get busy and forget that I had an idea for a gift and I rack my brain thinking, 'What can I get for (fill in your name here)????' And then a week later I remember what it was, but now it's too late to get it because it had to be ordered at least 10 weeks in advance!!! Yeah, it was going to be that good of a gift! Sorry you missed out. I've been busy, okay? Man, give me a break already.

Alright, moving on now.... so this got me thinking about Christmas gifts and some memorable Christmases. I wanted to share a few funny stories with you:

Story #1: Uncle Rob's Great Idea!!! - Christmas 2004
So my Uncle Rob loves to go around the room and have everyone share a special memory of their favorite gift or best Christmas. Bonham and I were engaged to be married the following January and my family was still getting to know him. He didn't really talk a lot back then because he was shy..... =) I guess. Anyway, so its Bonham's turn to talk and he starts telling everyone this really sad story about how his senior year in high school he had a 'falling out' with some of his friends and it was really tough on him. And the story went on and everyone was getting really depressed (thanks Bonham!!) and then he talked about his dad and how his dad knew what he was going through and so he bought him a shotgun. It was the funniest and most uncomfortable moment in the WORLD!!!! We were all laughing and Bonham was trying to have a 'moment'. So then everyone wondered how mentally stable my future husband was..... LOL Classic!
(the gun was for hunting..... not killing his former friends, promise)

Story #2: AOL.... in a box???
When I was about 13 or 14, I went to visit my Aunts and Uncles in Georgia. My Aunt Irene (hello, if you are reading this), had the internet. Coolest thing ever!!! I would stay up until the wee hours of the morning in chat rooms... not so safe looking back now. =) Sorry, mom!
I came home that summer and told my parents that we had to get the internet. They were very resistant, to say the least. When Christmas rolled around, I knew FOR SURE they had gotten me the internet and I really expected it to be in a box somewhere. I wasn't sure it was going to look like, but it had to come in a box, right? I mean, come on. How many times do you get an AOL CD-like-thing in the mail? Its in a box.
So this particular year, I didn't open any of gifts ahead of time (which was pretty much an annual thing for me). I'm not a very patient person - not sure if you knew that or not. Anyway, I can't remember if my mom chose not to label the gifts, but I didn't know for sure where the internet was, but it had to be in there because..... well....... let's face it, I'm a spoiled little BRAT! =) On Christmas Eve, we always opened one gift.... and then I begged for one more and one more.... I just knew that the internet was there somewhere. By the end of the night, I had made my parents so mad (that's the nice way to put it), that my mom brought out all of the 'Santa' gifts and we had opened all of gifts under the tree and there was no internet!!!! I was shocked! Stunned!
I begged them to please tell me where it was.... I pretty much ruined Christmas that year. I can't really remember much past that point in the evening, or the next morning and all of Christmas Day. I'm not sure if I blocked it out.... its probably better that way.

Story #3: My first CD
I can vividly remember the Christmas when I got my first CD. I had asked my parents for a CD player and they said, 'No'. We played this game every year, so its easy to see why I always thought I would get what I asked for.... you would think that they would learn to just ruin the surprise and say, 'Yes, we will or did get a CD player, you little whiner! Now, stop asking!' Maybe they did say that and I blocked it out too.... who knows! =)
So back to Christmas. I can't remember the exact year, but I was under 12.... maybe 10 or 11.... anyway, not important! Moving on... =) I opened up a CD from my Aunt Laura and Uncle Claude and it was Reba McEntire's Greatest Hits Volume II with the song 'Does He Love You' - a duet with Linda Davis. And I looked at my parents and said, 'You got me a CD player?!?' And you could tell that Aunt Laura was trying to cover by saying, 'I didn't know that you didn't have one... I can take it back and get it on tape.' Good try Aunt Laura, good try. I wasn't falling for that one. Even if I didn't get a CD player, I was going to wait them out. It was only a few months until my birthday! =)

Okay, so those are some of my memorable Christmas Tales.... I'll bet you were expecting something sappy and sweet!!! Ha Ha Ha!!!!

For those of you who know me: Hard to believe? Or very believable? You be the judge!
Until tomorrow......

No comments: