Sunday, September 19, 2010

It Definitely Tastes like 'Diet' Food

I love to bake, but most things that you bake are made with flour (high points), butter (higher points), and sugar (pretty high points too!). A Few weeks ago, I had made these picture perfect blueberry muffins, but I didn't take any pictures of them. They were pretty good right out of the oven, and they were okay the next day. Strawberries are lower in points, so I really wanted to make some of those too. WW website has a feature that you can put all of the ingredients in and it will tell you how many points something would be. Bonham entered it all in and based on the substitute ingredients that I used, including Whole Wheat Flour, No-Calorie Sweetener, and Applesauce, instead of oil, these muffins are about 2.5 pts each. They looked pretty good.....



They weren't as pretty as the blueberry ones that I had made, because I didn't do the streusel topping, because that would have added another point to each. I think that they look pretty good though. They definitely tasted healthy and they weren't as sweet as I would have wanted, but it's alright. I put a little fat-free cool whip on top and I ate it.
Jayna tried the batter, because she always wants to do that when we're baking.... and she gagged! =) LOL She's such a drama queen! She blamed it on my using applesauce. She asked me to make her some without applesauce.... maybe another time. She didn't want to try the muffins after they were cooked. Oh well, I guess. =)
Barrett tried the batter and he liked it. He tried the muffin and he liked it too! He'll eat anything. Bonham and I didn't try the batter. I was scared! It looked gritty, but the muffins weren't gritty. They just weren't as sweet as I expected them to be. Trying to find sweet stuff that we can eat that is low in points is kind of a challenge. There is this dessert that I really like. It's a Limeade Pie, but you can make it with lemonade or pink lemonade. Anyway, the ingredients are cream cheese, cool whip, eagle brand milk, and limeade all mixed together and put into a graham cracker crust. Then you freeze it. It's really good, but extremely high in points. We already buy fat free cream cheese. There is fat free cool whip. And I few days ago, I found fat free sweetened condensed milk! I was so excited, because now I can make that dessert and really lower the points..... I got home and started calculating the points..... no such luck! I should have taken the calculator to the store with me!!! The crust alone is 16 points for the whole pie, so you are starting with 2 points per slice of whatever you make if you cut the pie in 8 pieces. I was very disheartened. I continued to calculate and found that all of the ingredients together would make for about a 5 pt piece of pie. That's really not too bad, but I was hoping it would be less.

Instead of making that pie, Bonham suggested that we make a pudding pie. So we did! =) And even with the crust, it's only 3 points! We used Sugar Free, Fat Free Pudding mix and Skim Milk. That has been good to have something sweet that doesn't totally ruin that day's points.
My next weigh-in is on Tuesday and I feel pretty confident that I will do well. I struggled at the first part of the week with negative thoughts of not wanting to do this, etc. I am back on track and it's a daily battle to not give into temptation...... daily, hourly, sometimes minutely (is that a word?). Check back soon for this week's results.
Goodnight. =)

No comments: