Monday, September 13, 2010

No Barrett, we don't throw puppies!!!

Okay, so if you have ever had a 2 year old boy, you know know that they love to climb on things, jump off the things that they just climbed on, wrestle with anyone, and throws everything!!!

My mom's German Shepherds had puppies almost 6 weeks ago and we have been going over there to let the kids pet them and play with them before they all go to their new homes. Last night, we went over while the puppies were out running around and eating some puppy food, etc. We showed Jayna the proper way to hold the puppies with 2 hands, so we let her pick up the puppies (under supervision), but Barrett doesn't quite get it, so we don't let him.

The puppies were all over the place last night and we were all spread out too. Barrett was jumping in a puddle of water and a little puppy walked by. He bent down and picked up under it's arms... which is better then by the head. I said, 'No Barrett, put the puppy down!' And I started his way, just in case he didn't.... I probably should have jogged or run over there. As I got closer, Barrett tossed the puppy away from him. I think we were all in shock. Did this just happen? Oh my goodness. Have you ever tried to explain to a 2 year old that a puppy is a living thing that can be hurt? I don't know that it sank in. Needless to say, Barrett is banned from playing with the puppies. =)

The litter consisted of 9 puppies and 8 of them have already been claimed and will be picked up this coming Saturday. Jayna is going to be so sad.... she really wants one of these puppies. Of course, she is only 4, so she doesn't fully understand the responsibility of a puppy. Maybe on the next litter.... we'll see. It would be convenient if the next puppies came around her birthday or Christmas and then we could count that as her gift. =)

No comments: