In previous years, we have always knocked out the majority of our Christmas shopping in the summer months and then we would buy one or two items in the last 60 days before Christmas, if needed. We kept a 'Christmas Closet' for a lot of years. About two months before Christmas, we would pull everything out and go through our checklist to be sure that we didn't miss anyone or if one kid or cousin had more than another, we would go shopping to even things out! I honestly can't remember what we did last year, but I know this year we haven't purchased 1, single item. I cannot even believe myself! Funny thing is that we have more people to buy for this year... we have a new niece and nephew this Christmas and another (unknown gender) on the way. I love, love, love buying for babies and so do the kids! They take so much pride in getting to pick out gifts for their family members. It's so sweet to watch.
They also enjoy wrapping the gifts! I think this year, I might let them do a little different kind of wrapping versus the traditional, "Okay, hand me some tape." or "put the tape here" kind of help.
When I was younger, my granny (my mom's mom) used to let us paint crate paper (I think that is what it was called - the thick brown/paper bag-like paper). When the paint would dry, we would wrap the presents and then we would use a thick, country-fied kind of rope to tie bows on the boxes. I'm sure if I looked at old pictures, it wouldn't be as cool as I remember - things never are, but it will be fun for the kids to do. Stayed tuned for those pics later this year - it should be fun! I'm sure I can get some ideas online for fun activities to do when wrapping gifts, etc. I prefer to knock out all of the wrapping in a weekend and then put them under the tree and stare at them for a few weeks.
Last year, my slightly bah-hum-bug, hubby, Bonham was so nice to set up the Christmas tree without me even asking... It was a nice surprise to come home to! He and the kids put the decorations up. It was so cute! I think he enjoyed it even though he wouldn't admit it. haha!
Once Barrett has recovered and is feeling up to it, we will try to get the Christmas festivities underway! Definitely want to knock it out before Thanksgiving though, because the stores get CrAzY after Thanksgiving. So family, start making your wish lists and get them emailed in soon! LOL
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Update on George (Bonham's grandpa): he was able to be transferred to another hospital on Monday where they were able to perform a procedure/surgery to remove some pieces of a left over of a trachea stint. He had the majority of it removed a few weeks back and then he got pneumonia. The original plan was to replace the stint with something that would last longer. Now the doctor has decided that he doesn't need to place a new trachea stint. They are working on clearing up some infections that George has and then they should be able to send him home early next week. He's in good spirits and doing really well. Thank God for George's recovery!!! And thank you for your continued prayers for our family. XOXO
No comments:
Post a Comment