Barrett had his pre-op appointment yesterday and I didn't blog about it, because the day got away from me and I was tired. The appointment consisted of a physical, chest x-ray, blood draw, swabs, questions, hospital tour, instructions for the next day, etc. We were at the hospital for about 4 hours and then we had to go visit my Mamo, because she wanted to see him before surgery and we didn't want her to come and sit at the hospital while he was in surgery. After a short visit with her, we went to pick up Jayna from my Aunt's house. We got home, had dinner and then Bonham's sister Rachel got there. By the end of the day, I was ready for bed, knowing that we had to get up early! While we were at the hospital, one of the volunteers gave Barrett a new bear (picture below). After we were walking away with his bear, he said, "I hope I get another bear tomorrow". I told him not to be greedy... haha!
We arrived the hospital at 7:00am and they got us started with the questions (so many of the same questions, over and over...). Between 7:30 and 7:30, he got the 'giggle juice', but in a nasal spray form. He hated it (again), but soon, he was kind of getting loopy and his speech was slurred... it was funny.
This was before the loopy stuff, when we had some down time... he was being silly:
While we were in the waiting room, a hospital Chaplain came in to visit with us. He delivered this bear. It's a prayer bear that someone sent to us. We aren't sure who sent it, but Thank You!!!
When they wheeled Barrett back for surgery, the nurse informed us that they wouldn't actually start the surgery for almost 2 hours. They were going to bathe him again, give him the gas, and hook him up. The nurse called when the surgery began and then again every hour with updates. The updates consisted of, "Barrett is doing well and Dr. S is still working on him". Once the surgery was over, they called to let us know that they were stitching him up. About 45 minutes later, Dr. S came out to let us know that everything went well. They were able to stick with Plan A!. This was the plan to go in the back/left side, not down the front of the chest; they were able to cut out the narrowing portion and then reattach the thicker portions without having to use a patch. This is good, because this means that the repair should grow with him and he shouldn't require any future surgeries!!! Yea!
They wheeled him past us on the way to the PICU (Pediatric Intensive Care Unit), so that we could see him. Once he got to the PICU, they would have to get him situated before we could go back to see him.
He has pretty much been like this the entire time since we got to come back to the PICU:
![]() |
| Yes, he is a mouth-breather and he sleeps with one eye open! HAHA! |
![]() |
| Nana and Grandma visiting with Barrett after surgery. The blue bear on the left was another prayer bear that was sent to us - too sweet! |
![]() |
| Aunt Rachel visiting Barrett after surgery. She took Jayna to school for us this morning. Thank you for your help Rachel! |
![]() |
| Daddy and Barrett |
He doesn't wear diapers, but of course, they had to put them on him... kind of cute, but he might be embarrassed when he gets older...
Right now, Barrett has 4 IV's:
- One in his neck; this one is delivering the blood pressure meds directly to his heart. They want his blood pressure to remain low, to avoid busting the internal stitches
- One in his right arm to allow them to give him meds and take blood samples quickly
- One in the left arm and one in the left foot and I don't know exactly what they are for, except to get fluids in his body
Barrett's temperature is up a little (around 100.5), not alarming, just a little high, so they are trying to get that down too. Everyone has said how well he is doing. Bonham and I are doing good. Jayna doesn't really know what is happening to Barrett, so I think she is fine. I am staying with Barrett tonight and Bonham is home with Jayna. The hospital staff has been great; very accommodating. They told us that tonight should be quiet, but that tomorrow might not be as much, because he will be more awake.
I'm sorry if I have repeated myself, jumped around in my details, or just don't make any since at all!
They have given us so much info that my head is spinning! I have also been up since 4:30am, so I am tired. I'm sure that I have missed something, so if I have and you have a question, feel free to post it here or email me: cristinacalk@yahoo dot com.
I will leave you with a funny story...
Barrett heard a baby cry and he opened his eyes a little... I said, "Barrett, did you hear that baby?" and he nodded his head. And then I said, "Barrett, so many people have been asking about you..." and he opened his eyes for a bit and then closed them. So I said, "Do you want me to tell them that you are doing good?" and he nodded his head. I said, "Are you feeling okay?" (he is not feeling much of anything right now, btw) and he nodded his head. And then I said, "Do you want me to stop talking to you?" and he nodded his head.... LOL
He still has a since of humor! Love this boy! :)










No comments:
Post a Comment