Barrett rested well throughout the night, only waking up a few times. Me... not so much! I would drift off and wake up. This happened about 3 or 4 times and I thought, 'surely it was 2, 3, maybe 4 am. No, it was only an hour and 20 minutes since I had laid down... it was a 11:30pm. I tried to go back to sleep and then I heard the nurse say, "It's okay, Barrett. Your mommy is right here." This happened a few times. My little couch/bed is behind his, so I got set up in a chair next to his bed, so that if he woke up, I would be there. When it seemed like he was in a deep sleep, I headed back to my couch/bed and slept for about 4 hours and then I was up for the day. Needless to say, I am tired. I went home for a little while this afternoon to get some rest and take a shower, etc. I was planning on checking my work email, but I really just wanted to get back to the hospital to be with this sweet boy.... who can blame me?!? :) The emails will still be there tomorrow and the next day, so I will check them later. I have a lot of SUPER-DUPER co-workers that are helping to cover my files in my absence and I pretty much have the most amazing and understanding boss on the face of the planet! He told me that if he saw me online (work computer) during Barrett's surgery, he would come up to the hospital and take my laptop from me! Pretty cool guy, I think! :) Fortunately (kind of), I can't log onto my work computer from the hospital, because the connection isn't considered to be secure.
Moving on to non-work related topics.... Barrett! He is doing so great! I think he is doing better than they expected. So much has happened today:
He had his catheter removed and is wearing his own underwear now
He had his chest tube (drainage tube) removed
They were able to remove the oxygen sensors, which cuts down on the number of cords to deal with
They removed 1 of the 4 IVs, so that frees up his right hand
He is now on a full liquid diet and he has been able to hold everything down so far; he hasn't really wanted to eat much, but I'm sure he will get hungry tomorrow!
He was able to get up a little (to be weighed and to urinate
The huge row of meds that were connected to the neck IV was reduced to just cords; mainly these were blood pressure meds and pain meds and since he is doing so well, they were able to take those off
His temperature went back to normal
His blood pressure has stayed around the desired range
Here are some pictures and then more information at the bottom....
 |
| Happy boy this morning! He hasn't complained of any pain, so the epidural must be doing it's job! |
 |
| I'm always the one behind the camera, so I tired to sneak my face in this shot! LOL |
 |
| A lot of sleeping in the first 24 hours.... |
 |
| Giving a sweet little smile... precious boy! |
 |
| Barrett was given a Halloween pillow - super cute! |
 |
| The newest additions to our stuffed animal collection provided by my friend, Sage - thanks Sage! |
 |
| Some really cool gifts from some of my co-workers, Ed and Sam - Thanks guys! |
 |
Close up of the incision (bandaged on the left)
And where the epidural is - it's taped down really well, so that it doesn't move or come loose
Barrett had to wear 'hospital pants' (a diaper) until he could stand up and change |
 |
| Getting weighed (not working out, even though it looks like a treadmill) |
 |
| Back in bed with his own underwear on... that wore him out! |
 |
| Giving me the stink eye... it's blurry, because the flash was making him lose the face and he wanted me to take a picture of him making this face... |
He was more talkative today and he has been able to tell us things he wants. He asked about some people and made requests for visits. He has been a much better patient than I imagined he would be! We are so thankful for that!
We have had such an outpouring of love and generosity from all around. People we barely know to people that we have known forever. This process has made me thankful for each and everyone of you. Bonham and I are doing really well. We are not worried or anxious. We are incredibly to thankful that Barrett has done so well and seems to be recovering quickly!
We are hoping that he will move to a regular room tomorrow. Epidural should come out tomorrow or Friday. He will move to all oral meds for pain and blood pressure management. I think that is about all for now... again, I am still tired and I have probably missed something! haha! I feel like I have repeated the information so much to various people that I can't remember if I said it all.... :)
I will post more tomorrow... good night friends.
No comments:
Post a Comment