Saturday, August 1, 2015

Happy New Year!!! (The Red River Post)

I started this blog post months ago and then I got busy (surprise).  I uploaded all of the pictures and then never came back and did the commentary.  So.... 7 months later, here is what we did for New Year's 2015!

We drove to Red River, New Mexico to spend a few days in the mountains with the kids and my in-laws, Robert and Julie.  It was about a 10 hour drive.  We headed out early in the morning on the 30th.  We started seeing snow as we got closer to the Texas state line.... which is nice to think about right now since it's 100 degrees outside!

This was one of the first pictures I took on the trip.  
If you look closely, you can see a turkey in the road.  There were actually several of them, but there is a car blocking the others...

If I remember correctly, this is a picture of one of the roads on our way up there when the GPS told us to turn right.  We were supposed to turn left.... oh well, just a 30 minute detour!  


This little guy did great!  (Hopefully, I don't jinx our next trip!)

Getting closer and closer... I didn't drive much of the way up there or the way back, because I am a big wuss who can't drive on snow and I had work to take care of.  It's hard to respond to emails, talk on the phone, and drive on ice all at the same time.  I am talented, but not that talented!

We have arrived!  My in-laws have the cutest little town home/condo in Red River.  It's nice to have a (free) place to stay!  LOL
We had some of Barrett's old winter clothes and so George is wearing stuff that doesn't exactly fit him, but it's so cute... it reminds me of Ralphie's brother from the Christmas Story movie.  Bonham said that Ralphie's brother's name is Georgie.  I haven't looked it up to confirm.

Isn't he just the cutest, chubby, snow baby???

Me and my mother-in-law, braving the cold to let these crazy kids play!

My in-laws.  I love this picture.  Vacation looks good on them!



Grandma and Grandpa with the kids.  
Julie actually has multiple names from my kids... she was Grandma for awhile and still is, most of the time.  Our nieces call her Gigi.  Barrett called her Monga when he was younger and has recently started calling her that again because we all like it.  George calls her Frana.  So when I talk to her, I call her Grandma, Gigi, Monga, Frana, Julie, Mom.  LOL  It actually flows really well...

Barrett, our dare-devil enjoyed sliding down the snow hills in the sled.

I couldn't get enough pictures of this precious baby's face.... since this was 7 months ago, he was only 15 months old and he looks like such a little baby.  He's so grown up now!

Julie and Jayna posing next to this snowman that they didn't build!  
haha!




We rode on a hay ride around the town.  It was fun!

When he would fall down, he wouldn't know how to get back up!  


We found a nice little snow hill that the kids could ride the sled down...

and Jayna didn't pass out; she was making a snow angel.


George was so tired from all of the snow play


In the information center, there is a map of for visitors to put a red pin where they are from.


Out for more snow play... 
(not sure that any of these are in order because 
I took some and Julie took some and sent them to me) 

Bonham and Robert were tired of pictures and tired of snow play!




We went to eat at a restaurant called Texas Red's (in New Mexico, go figure)
I can't remember what I ordered, but it was soooooo good!


George was eating onions.  Yes, he liked them.
Ignore this face...


After dinner, we watched a torch light show skiing down the mountain and then fireworks!


And if that wasn't exciting enough, we went to the local 
community center for an old fashioned New Year's Eve Party!  


Hula hoop contest!  Jayna was so excited about this.  She said that she needs to practice more for next year, so she can win.  The girl who won was able to hula hoop with arms up and standing on 1 foot.  Jayna was able to keep up until the 1 foot thing was thrown into the mix. :(

Musical chairs...

They didn't have a hula hoop contest for his age group, but I am pretty sure that he would have won!  ;)

And the winner was..... Barrett!


I love this big toothless grin.  He was so proud of himself!

Jayna's turn...


She had a good time, but she didn't win.


I tried to get a good picture of the 3 of them, but that was challenging!

The adults got to play too!



Limbo...



Robert was ready for the party to be over.  Haha!

Crab races!



I love this picture of Robert and Jayna.

It's almost time for the countdown!  
They actually did it at 10pm, which was good, because we were all tired.  No way could we have made it to midnight!

Cheers to the New Year!



The rest of these pictures are definitely not in order, but oh well!  Enjoy!





















The town house window faces the local park and it was all lit up with Christmas lights.  
So pretty to look at...



Robert and Julie skied a little while we were there.
They took some really good pictures.  Made me jealous.  It's been over 10 years since I have been skiing and I am in no shape to get up there!

































Not sure what's happening here.  lol



Torch parade from earlier in the post (see?  out of order)




They were getting ready for the Baylor game while we took the kids out for a bit...






A light dusting of fresh snow... so pretty!


Eating out another night












The cute little kitchen...



There was one night when George wouldn't go back to sleep, so I took him down stairs to rock him and the big kids were so cute, I couldn't resist taking a picture of them!
If you notice, Barrett's pillow is wayyyyy up on the bed and his head is about where Jayna's stomach is.  He is not a good bed-mate.  He moves around a lot!



I took the kids skating for the first time.  They did okay for their first time.  
We definitely need more practice.  This place couldn't tighten the skates, so it made it hard for a beginner to learn.  And honestly, I couldn't remember how to skate, so I wasn't much help!

They were good sports, even when they fell.
We played air hockey...


This place also had miniature golf upstairs.  I didn't take any pictures, but we did that too.

On the way back to the town house, the kids stopped to have a snowball fight!

After a few days of fun and very little sleep (thanks to guy pictured below), we headed home!
The roads were AWFUL!  
It took us almost 14 hours to get back home and it was one of the most stressful drives because of all of the ice.  And.... the GPS told us the wrong way again and we ended up in Oklahoma, so we turned around.  That was an hour detour.  Oops!  I can't trust that GPS!

Some people were being stupid and passing us on the ice...





I think this may have been close to Oklahoma.... we should have known something was wrong when there were no other cars and none of the roads had been scraped.

At one point, we were stuck in traffic about an hour outside of Amarillo.  
Boring and scary!

Just outside of Amarillo, the sky and the roads were clear!  Whew!

I have another 7 months of pictures and things that I haven't posted that I am going to try to get caught up on.  :)  We are going to take another trip to Red River before I have to go back to work in a month or so.  Some mountain air will be nice!

No comments: