Monday, August 24, 2015

First Day of School 2015

As many of you know, we homeschool.  This will be the first year that I will homeschool both of our older two children.  Even though we aren't doing the traditional "Meet the Teacher" and "First Day of School", I would still like to keep some traditions alive, like pancakes for breakfast on the first day, taking "first day" pictures, and posting their stats!

 Every 1st day - chocolate chip pancakes and sleepy eyes....



I love to see how much they've grown and changed year over year.  I ask each of them some questions, but they are kind of boring... they have almost the same answers every year!  Haha!
I need change up my questions.

Here are the previous years 
that I have posted about:



 They are ready!!!



Jayna's 4th Grade Stats:
  • Height:  4 feet 7.5 inches (81st percentile) - up 2.5 inches from last year
  • Weight:  91.5 lbs (91st percentile) - up 4.5 lbs from last year
  • Shoe Size:  4 – up a half size from last year
  • Dress/Shirt: 14/16 – not much change from last year
  • Baby Teeth:  Jayna has only lost 1 tooth in the last year.  She also got braces put on almost a year ago and her teeth are looking so good!
  • Favorite Food:  Macaroni and Cheese  (year after year)
  • Favorite Drink:  Grape Fanta
  • Favorite Game:   Monopoly
  • Favorite Things To Do:  Play on the computer, play with the rabbits, read, and ride her bike
  • Favorite Show/Movie:  Fresh Beat Band of Spies (show) / Frozen (movie)
  • Favorite Color:  Pink (again)
  • Favorite Song: Let It Go from Frozen (same as last year)
  • Best Friends:  Aubrey and MacKenzie
  • Looking forward to this school year:  All of the field trips!  We hope to do some with our homeschool friends and then some with our family.  It will be more fun for her to have Barrett along with us on field trips this year too!
  • When Jayna grows up:  She wants to be a zookeeper – she is still an animal lover.
  • Personality traits:  Jayna is becoming a little woman (attitude and all)!  She has a sweet personality and loves to care for others.  She loves to plan, just like her mom and she likes to talk… also like her mom.
  • What does Jayna know?  Jayna thinks she knows everything!  ;)   She has a ton of knowledge when it comes to animals and she loves to tell you about what she knows.  Since she started reading more last year, she always has a book nearby.  I love that she loves to read.  Sometimes, she struggles to stay motivated in homeschool with doing the things she needs to get done.  She would prefer to only learn about animals, but there is more to life….  Jayna has said that she wants to start college at 16.  I love that she wants to get done sooner, but she suffers from a serious case of procrastination!  ;)  I don't want to push her to get through school ahead of time, but if she wants to do it and she tries hard, we will support and encourage her.  Jayna is also learning sign language and picking up on it really well.
  • Changes from last year:   Since last year, Jayna has gotten braces and her teeth look awesome!  She finally learned how to ride her bike without training wheels!  This was a big fear to overcome for her, because she is so unsteady.  It helped that we got pavement on our driveway and her Nana helped her instead of us.  It’s incredible how kids do things better for their grandparents.  I love that she has this new hobby that keeps her active and outside!
  • Other things:  In the past year, Jayna has taken on more responsibility as far as the animals go – she helps take care of the bunnies, the goats, and the chicken.   She also helps with some of the chores.  Once I start back to work, we are going to lay out the chore schedule a little better.   One thing that we really enjoy about homeschooling is that we can do our work and then do stuff around the house.  Jayna is looking forward to having Barrett here with her to homeschool too.  It should  be more fun with both of them.
My sweet Jayna... she looks so grown up today!




Barrett's 2nd Grade Stats:
  • Height: 4 feet 0.5 inches (52nd percentile) - up 2.5 inches from last year
  • Weight:  55.5 lbs (67th percentile) - up 4.5 lbs from last year
  • Shoe Size:  2.5 – up one size from last year
  • Shirt:   size 6/7
  • Short/Pants:  6 and/or 7 (slim)
  • Baby Teeth:  Barrett has lost 6 teeth and has 2 loose teeth – he seems to always have a loose tooth! 
  • Favorite Food:  Corndogs (several years now)
  • Favorite Drink:  Orange Fanta
  • Favorite Game:  Train dominoes
  • Favorite Things To Do:  Play on the kindle or computer, ride bike, read, and play with George
  • Favorite Show/Movie:  Mario Brothers (show) / Lego Movie (movie)
  • Favorite Color:  Green
  • Favorite Song: Everything is Awesome from The Lego Movie (same as last year)
  • Best Friend:  Kameron (from public school)
  • Looking forward to this school year:  Spending time with everybody (his family).  He said this was the main reason he wanted to homeschool.
  • When Barrett grows up:   Barrett wants to be whatever Bonham wants to be….
  • Personality traits:  Barrett is still super sweet and sensitive.  He has become more energetic and more talkative than in years past.
  • What does Barrett know?  Barrett finished his 1st grade year testing on 3rd grade levels for several subjects.  This is one reason that I wanted to homeschool him.  He likes to work ahead and he asks me almost every day if he can do school work (teacher’s dream, right?).  I have him doing some 2nd grade and some 3rd grade work.  We will go at his pace, which I have a feeling will be fast!
  • Changes from last year:   Barrett always had the cutest little baby teeth… as he has lost his teeth and his permanent ones are coming in, we can tell he will need braces too.  :(  Barrett has also learned to ride his bike.  He likes to follow in Jayna’s footsteps.  He wasn’t as scared as she was.  He basically needed to do it on his own and that’s exactly what he did.  He loves to ride his bike, run, slide, all boy things…. 
  • Other things:  He and Jayna learned to play Train Dominoes and Monopoly in the last year and they are hooked.  I hope that their love of board games will increase.  I would much rather they play games like this than be on electronics.  Barrett has a great imagination and loves to make up his own games, songs, and stories.  He is a great big brother and will let George tag along anywhere.   
Big boy!  Precious Barrett!


This year, I am going to add a few things to the curriculum...  We are adding Bible, Sewing and Crocheting, Spanish, and Sign Language.  I am looking forward to these subjects as part of our routine.  When I only had Jayna at home last year and Barrett was still in public school, I felt bad letting Jayna finish up too early in the day when I knew Barrett was still at school.  Jayna was already enjoying more freedom and more field trips than Barrett and I had a lot of guilt that he was missing out.  This year will be different though - they won't miss out!  They will both get to partake in activities together and if they finish their daily work early, they have each other to play with and they can do whatever they want!  Win-win!

The longer we homeschool, the more I learn... one thing that I am learning is that we don't have to stick to a schedule all the time.  We can roll with the punches and change things up, if we need to.  But.... as a planner, I can't help but plan out their activities daily.  I feel like we need to go into the day with a plan and if then if the plan changes, so be it.  But I wouldn't be able to handle a no-plan kind of schedule.  :)

Barrett wanted to take some extra pictures with his
"dude" face... (as he calls it)

his silly face.... (kind of like a chicken)

My beautiful babies!  Ready for a great year!


***Update from today, after school:  Barrett said that his favorite part was spending time with the family and Jayna said her favorite part was.... WRITING!  
Praise the Lord!     
We had a great day!  Everyone had a positive and a hard working attitude!  
This is shaping up to be a great year! :)

No comments: