Tuesday, November 19, 2013

Being Thankful - Day 19

I am thankful for modern technology!
 
Mainly, I am thankful to not have to find everything in an encyclopedia!  Remember doing that when you were a kid?  Remember having to go to the library for every research paper?  Having the internet is so much easier!  I am very thankful to have the world at my fingertips.  What would we do without spell check?  Haha!
 
Let's rewind to 7th grade... I am sitting in homeroom and they had this daily news that we watched.  I remember an advertisement for the information super highway  and I remember visualizing an actual highway and thinking that the idea they were talking about would never work.  What did I know?  I was still a kid, but it just seemed impossible to have access to so much on a computer!  You can find anything and everything online.  The term "google it" has become so incredibly common.
 
I am also thankful for the technology of cell phones.  They do so much!  They are computers, phones, and watches all in one!  I don't think they should be as expensive as they are, but no one asked me...
 
Do you remember your first cell phone?  What about a pager?  Or beeper?  Haha!  Beeper.  Strange words.  I remember my parents first cell phones.  I think my dad still has his and the monster case it came in!  That might be worth some money now.  I remember him having a beeper.  I remember having a pager... I think they are probably the same thing, but I was  too cool  to call it a beeper. 
 
We are so connected to the rest of the world through these devices.  Our children and our children's children will never know what it's like to go somewhere and not be reachable.  That's crazy to imagine.  They probably couldn't figure out how to use a pay phone, but they can figure out a complex game on my phone.  I don't know how I feel about that...
 
I am thankful for the technology, but I also think it could be detrimental to some relationships.  You lose communication when everyone is buried in their phone. When you go to dinner, look around and see how many couples are on their phones or have them on the table.  And see how many are talking to each other, no phones out.  I will admit that I am guilty of always looking at my phone all the time.  Since I work from my phone, I feel like it's necessary.  I'll try to do better at this new job, but it's hard to do...  :)

No comments: