Thursday, November 7, 2013

Being Thankful - Day 7

I am thankful for the people who gave me life, that's right... my parents, Ray and Darla Pate! 

Not only am I thankful for them giving me life, but I am thankful to them for not killing me as a young person!  I didn't think I was that difficult of a child or teenager, because I always knew where I was and what I was doing, but now that I am a parent, I can see why they may have been concerned... ;)  I turned out alright though!  And we all survived.  I should mention that both of parents are now medicated for high blood pressure, but I am not convinced that was all my doing.  I'm sure my brother played a hand in some of that!

My parents are good, hardworking, fun-loving people who are also our neighbors!  When we first decided to move into the house next to them, I honestly worried about living this close to them, but it has worked out better than I could have imagined!  Jayna calls this her perfect house and wants to live here forever.  We are about to add a 1,000 square foot addition to this house, so she might just get her wish!

It is nice to have them next door for the emergency "I need some milk, sugar, etc." or when the kids don't want to go to the store or something, they can stay with Nana and Papa while Bonham and I go.  The kids can run across the pasture to see them anytime.  And we can have dinner with them more often than if we lived somewhere else. 

My parents were married in August 12, 1978 (35 years ago).  They had my brother 14 months later and then had to wait a lonely 2 1/2 more years until I came along.  As the story goes, my dad wanted more children, but my mom convinced him that once you have achieved perfection (me), you should stop.  (You know this isn't a true story, right?)  I think they realized what they were in for and thought, "That's enough!"



You know it's really hard to sum up what my parents have done for me over 31 years... it was much easier to summarize the short lives of my children.  Haha!  My parents have encouraged me to try hard and always do my best.  They have been there for me whenever I have needed them and they have taught me right from wrong.  They love me, my husband, and my kiddos.  I am always proud to say, "I am Ray and Darla Pate's daughter" and borderline offended when people don't know who they are!  Just kidding...

Here are some pics of my cool parents:
Papa, Barrett, Presley (my niece), Nana, and Jayna - 2013
Jayna and Papa watching the Rodeo - 2013

Papa and Jayna at Texas Motor Speedway - 2006

Nana carrying an injured Jayna - Summer 2013

Barrett, Jayna, and Nana at Casa Manana - 2013

Me and Nana at the Ranger game - 2013

Papa and Barrett after Papa's neck surgery - 2013
 
Papa and his mom (my Mamo)

Jayna, Papa, and Me - 2011

Barret and Papa - 4th of July party 2012

Nana and Papa with their grandchildren - Christmas 2012
 
My silly parents - Christmas 2012

 
Go Cowboys!

Christmas 2011

My mom and I at George's baby shower

My mom and I waiting for me to get admitted to the hospital

My mom and dad at the Stock Show 2010

My mom and George
 
Papa, Barrett, Jayna, and Bonham playing in the snow - early 2011

Christmas Cash!
Snow play with Papa  - Christmas 2009
Barrett, Nana, Papa, and Jayna - Stock Show 2010
My mom and I at the Stock Show
My dad and I at the Stock Show

 Thanks mom and dad for everything!  Thank you for loving and supporting me even when it might have been difficult.  Thank you for being a great example of couple that works together and parents who provide for their children.  Love you both!


 


No comments: