I am thankful for music!
I have always been a music lover and at one time thought I would be a
famous singer! I guess a lot of people
had that same dream. L The only performances I do now are for my
kids each night. They also love music
and that makes me so happy.
When I was little, I used to sing and sing… I have some early
recordings and I was awful! No one ever told me, so I just kept on. When I was in high school, I took some voice
lesson and took choir at school, but I didn’t like singing those kinds of
songs. I wanted to sing country
music. My dad got me hooked up with a
voice coach that had worked with LeAnn Rimes.
I started singing at local venues and even made a recording. I was actually pretty good, but I didn’t play
an instrument and I can’t read music.
Long term, there really wasn’t a future for a girl who only had a good voice and not much else.
After I had been performing for a few years, a fellow performer and
friend of mine suggested that we offer karaoke services. Why not?
My dad and I had a standing karaoke gig at the lake one summer. One of the employees there asked if I could
DJ her wedding. I already had a ton of
music that I had acquired over the years, so I agreed. Then it grew into more weddings, more
parties, less karaoke and more music. As
this happened, I sang less and less.
When Bonham and I had Jayna, my dad decided that he would rather stay
with my mom and keep Jayna for us while Bonham joined me DJ’ing. At that time, I think my dad and I were doing
maybe 8-12 gigs a year (more of a hobby than a business). Bonham created a website and was able to get
us pretty high on search engines and our business took off! We don’t DJ anymore, but the year before we
wrapped up we had over 40 gigs in one year!
We were booked almost every weekend and it was exhausting! But we were really up to date on music. But now?
We are so behind on what is
cool. I guess we don’t need to be cool. We’re parents – cool is overrated! J
I am so thankful that our children are also music lovers! Bonham plays guitar and used to be in the
praise team at his church when we first dated.
We should have known that we would have little music-lovers!
| This was shortly after we moved into our current house and we were still unpacking and trying to find a safe place for Bonham's guitar! Jayna will keep it safe... |
![]() |
| Jayna at Christmas last year |
![]() |
| Jayna singing a song before my cousin's wedding a few years ago |
![]() |
| Jayna and Bonham playing guitar one morning |
![]() |
| Barrett playing drums in the studio at Cook Children's hospital a few days after his surgery |
![]() |
| Barrett singing(mike not connected, but oh well) at the same studio |
![]() |
| Jayna and Barrett enjoying the local talent in the Fort Worth Stockyards |
Barrett singing my favorite song, "Fishing in the Dark"
This video is over a year old - he has gotten better and a little less silly...






No comments:
Post a Comment